Friday 23 December 2011

Myanmar as it emerges onto the world stage

I am somewhat pleased that Myanmar has been if you like brought in from the cold.  Its people are a lovely race who on the whole would do no harm to anyone.    Their calm and spiritual existence has been exploited to the extremes and we have stood by and allowed this to happen.  A European consultancy experienced in Asia business and assisting western companies to open an Asian presence 

I once had the privilege to work in Yangon for a short period as they tried to embrace mobile telephony.  What I found inside this closed and difficult country was somewhat surprising.  I found an infrastructure that was reminiscent of the pre-wars years of Europe, buses plied their trade that were of the old BMC manufacture out of England.  Somehow it brought a charm to the place  However, the surprise was the presence of the French and I am told of the French intelligence services although I have no idea whether I brushed against any of these people, but I was certainly advised to keep my own council particularly around the bar of the Strand Hotel.  But what I did find as I had the good fortune to be taken outside of Yangon, about 10 miles perhaps, at which point we turned off the road and followed a dirt track for at least another 2 miles until we came across a beautiful white colonial house which had an arch reminiscent of the days when colonial carriages would pass under and the occupants would dis-embark for some banquet or other.  From here they would pass into a grand entrance hall. This house was indeed a French restaurant together with a french chef/owner, the food was unbelievable and of high standard.  

Luxury exclusive Villas in Bali I digress it is interesting that the exploiters were indeed the exploited at the end of the day.  But for whatever reason they have come in from the cold.  I hope we do not easily dismiss the sacrifice that Aung San Suu Ky gave in the support of the populaces, for her grace and poise asshe endured those years confined to her home, for she deserves a role on the world stage as I am sure we have a new world states person in the guise of Aung San Suu Ky. For her grace and poise displayed as she re-entered the political stage was of similar order to that of Mandella.    I hope we quickly bring this country up to scratch and that we improve the living standards of this impoverished nation.  I hope that many of us can now easily see the temples that form this beautiful country.  I also hope that we can all experience the Shwedagon Paya (Pagoda) the world renowned Buddhist Temple which was built and established before the time of Christ,  I for one have had the opportunity to visit this wonderful monument.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsers

ShareThis